Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Suggestions for China

In my last blog, I talked about how some Americans companies did not approve of a law that the Chinese government was trying to pass. This was strange to me because I suspected the United States to help a country in need. After hours of researching I discovered a journal dated back to June of 2004 by Kristi Ellis titled “U.S and China in accord on Labor, Safety Issues” that said China and the United States were agreeing to improve working conditions such as employment, child labor, and safety conditions in China. One of my biggest questions in my cross cultural encounter next to the question why are children working at a young age in China, was what are the actions being taken by the government to prevent harsh child labor. In my previous blogs, I started to understand the actions being taken. I discovered in January 1st, 1995 there was a new child labor law ratified that said children under16 years old could not be employed according to the Bureau of International Labor Affairs. There has been efforts in passing new laws to better the lifestyles of Chinese workers and now the United States are stepping in to try to improve labor conditions. According to the journal, China and the United States want to focus on China’s minimum wages, hours issued, and safe workplaces. Another important piece of the agreement was that the United States agreed to help keep the rules the same as more people are employed. My earlier beliefs that China’s government was more concern about goods than the labor issues are no longer imprinted in mind. I now know China’s government is making several attempts to solve this issue, even making attempts outside their country.

Ellis, Kristi. "U.S. AND CHINA IN ACCORD ON LABOR, SAFETY ISSUES." WWD (June 22, 2004): 8. Academic OneFile. Gale. Wheaton College. 28 Mar. 2008
.

No comments: